How to Backup iPhone to iCloud, iTunes, Computer and Mac
Backing up data is necessary if you have sensitive or important information on your device. Backup involves copying files from one device to online storage or another device. It’s not difficult to back up your iPhone and you can have your data saved on multiple platforms.
So, if you’re wondering how to secure your files so you do not have a nervous breakdown if something happens to your phone, here is a guide for you.
How to Backup iPhone to iCloud
iCloud is a cloud storage and computing software, owned by Apple Inc. When you set up iCloud for the first time, you automatically get 5GB of free storage space. iCloud is a secure backup service for iPhone users. It doesn’t just store your data, it also keeps your information updated everywhere. So, if you make a new entry or update to your contact, calendar, notes, health data, iMessages, alarms, and reminders, it automatically reflects on other connected devices. Here is how you can backup your data on iCloud.
- Connect your phone to a Wi-Fi connection and make sure you’re connected throughout the process.
- Go to settings, and click on iCloud.
- Tap iCloud Backup.
- Select back up now. Make sure you’re connected to the internet until the process is completed.
You can configure your settings so that iCloud automatically backs up your device daily. Follow the steps below:
- Ensure that the iCloud backup button is always turned on. You’ll find it under iCloud in settings.
- Connect your phone to a Wi-Fi network.
- Make sure you have enough space in iCloud.
- Ensure your device’s screen is locked.
How to Backup iPhone to iTunes
iTunes is a media management software owned by Apple Inc. It allows apple device users to manage, organize, and sync their media library across devices.
- If you do not have iTunes on your computer, simply download it. You can get it on Apple’s website and Microsoft Store.
- Connect your phone to your computer using a Lightening-to-USB cable.
- After connecting the phone to the computer, click continue on the iTunes message asking if you want the computer to have access to your iPhone.
- On your iPhone, click the trust button on the “trust this computer” prompt that appears. (for people who have not synced their computer to iTunes).
- You might be asked to type in your password before it can connect to the computer. Log in your password.
- After you must have gained access to iTunes on your pc, click on the phone icon on the top left corner of the window.
- Select summary and then scroll to the backup option and click on it.
- If your phone is not encrypted, select the encrypt iPhone backup button. This setting ensures the safety of your data.
- Enter and verify password. Ensure that you pick a password that you would remember. If you forgot your password, select the “change password” option to set a different password for backups. Note that you cannot restore old backups without the password used in creating them.
- After you have created or changed your password successfully, iTunes automatically starts the backup process.
You can access your backups by selecting preferences under the edit panel on your pc. If you are using a Mac, select preferences under the iTunes panel. Under preferences, click the device icon. Here, you can access your backed-up files. You can also delete files you no longer need to free up space.
How to Backup iPhone to computer
To successfully back up your iPhone’s data to your pc without iCloud or iTunes, you need to first download a tool that would help you with the process. There are a lot of softwares that serves this purpose. Some are free and some come at a cost.
Some of the tools you can use to do this include: Dr. Fone – Phone Backup (iOS), Ultfone Ios Manager, and CopyTrans iPhone Backup
Using Dr. Fone
- Launch Dr.Fone on your computer
- From the tool list, select phone backup
- Connect your iPhone to your computer by using a lightning
- Fone will automatically identify your iPhone
- After your phone is identified by the software, you are to select either the backup or restore option. Select backup and restore
- Select the file types you want to backup and then select backup
Using CopyTrans iPhone Backup
- Download CopyTrans Shelbee software from their website
- Install and launch the program
- Connect your iPhone to your computer
- On the software’s screen, three options will be displayed: custom restore, full restore, and backup. Select backup
- Next, select the option you desire. You can either do a full backup or you can backup just the recent changes made to your device.
- Select the location on your computer you’d like to situate the files.
- To backup apps, you have to mark the save your apps checkbox and then login to your iTunes store by providing your Apple ID and password.
- CopyTrans will begin the process of backing up your device’s data.
Using Ultfone iOS manager
- Connect your iPhone to your computer using a lightning
- On the software’s interface, select the backup and restore option.
- Your files are automatically selected. Remember, You can always adjust this based on your needs.
- Click the backup button at the bottom right of the screen.
How to Backup iPhone to Mac
To backup your iPhone to a Mac device, you need a stable Wi-Fi connection or a USB/USB-C cable. Here is a guide on how to store your phone’s data on a MacBook.
- Connect your phone to Mac. You can do this by connecting a USB cable between the two devices. Another method is to sync the devices by connecting them to the same Wi-Fi network.
- On your Mac’s Finder sidebar, select the device you want to connect to.
- After connecting your device, select the general button.
- Backup options will be displayed on the screen. Choose t the option “back up all of the data on my iPhone to Mac”
- Also, click on encrypt local backup to protect your data. Create or change password following the promptings.
- Click on the option “back up now.”