How to Loop a Video on iPhone – Looping is the process of repeatedly playing a video or image, creating a continuous effect. The popularity of video loops increased with the release of Instagram’s Boomerang feature, which allows users to create short, GIF-like videos that play back and forth.
Other platforms, such as Facebook, Snapchat, and TikTok, have since introduced similar features. If you have an iPhone and want to create video loops, this guide will explain what you can loop, any limitations, and how to create loops for different purposes.
See Also: 3 Ways to Make a Collage on iPhone
Looping Videos on iPhone: What’s Possible and What’s Not
The Photos app on iPhone does not have the capability to create video loops. However, you can still create video loops using the Live Photo function in the Camera app. This function records a video before the picture is taken and the Live Photos can be edited to make seamless video loops that can be shared on any app, including Instagram, which has built-in support for Live Photos.
If your goal is to convert videos into loops, you will need to use third-party apps from the App Store. One such app is Boomerang Maker, which offers basic editing options for free.
Additionally, if you want to loop a video you’re watching on YouTube, there are instructions on how to do so in the last section of this guide.
1. How to Create Loops of Live Photos Using an iPhone
The iPhone’s Photos app has an option for creating video loops of Live Photos. Live Photos is a native iOS feature that records a continuous series of frames 1.5 seconds before and after a picture is taken. You can manually select a frame or create an infinite looping video that plays back and forth.
To capture a picture using Live Photos:
- Open the Camera app
- Tap on the “Live Photos” button.
To see all the Live Photos saved on your iPhone:
- Open the Photos app
- Navigate to Albums > Media Types > Live Photos.
- To create loops of a picture:
- Select it from this list
- Tap on the “Live” label found at the top left corner.
- Select the ‘Bounce’ option in the overflow menu that appears to create a back-and-forth clip of the Live Photos that gives it a lifelike effect.
- You can also select the ‘Loop’ option, which will only display the series of frames in a one-way order, so the video may not appear as seamless as you had hoped.
To save the video:
- In the bottom left corner, tap the Share icon.
- Select the ‘Save to Files’ option in the Share sheet that appears.
- You can also choose the app where you want to share this from this screen.
2. How to Loop a Video Via the Photos App
To loop a video on your iPhone via the Photos app:
- Open the Photos application and find the video you want to loop
- Tap on the video to open it in fullscreen view
- Tap on the Share You can find it at the bottom left corner
- Select Add to Album
- Tap on New Album to create a new album for the video
- Input a name for the new album and tap on Save
- Return to the previous screen and tap on the Albums tab
- Tap on the new album you just created under the “My Albums” section
- Tap on the 3-dots icon at the top right corner and select Slideshow
- To change the theme, music, and speed of the video, tap on Options at the bottom right corner and make your desired changes
- When finished, tap on Done at the top right corner
- The video will now play in an infinite loop until you tap on Done inside the Slideshow screen.
Note that this looped video will only be played inside the Photos app, and will not be viewable as a looped video when shared.
3. How to Create Loops for Instagram Boomerang
If you want to create looping videos for Instagram’s Boomerang feature, you can do so directly within the Instagram app.
To capture a looping video on Instagram, go to Instagram > ‘+‘ > Story > Boomerang. You can also create a Boomerang video from a Live Photo that you’ve taken on your iPhone. To do this:
- Open Instagram’s story screen by going to the ‘+‘ icon > Story.
- Swipe up on the screen to access your camera roll and locate the Live Photo you want to convert. Instagram will highlight Live Photos with a Boomerang icon at the top left corner.
- Tap on the Live Photo to select it and it will load on your screen. Tap and hold anywhere on the picture to convert it into a boomerang.
- You can also tweak the boomerang video by tapping the Boomerang icon at the top of the Story screen for additional options like Slow-mo, Echo, and Duo.
- Once you’re satisfied with the video, tap on ‘Done’ at the top right corner and you can share it on your Instagram story or save it by tapping on the 3-dots icon at the top right corner and selecting ‘Save’ from the overflow menu.
4. How to Loop a Video Via Boomerang Maker App
If you don’t use or access Instagram, then you can use third-party apps to create video loops on your iPhone. One app you might be interested in is Boomerang Maker, which is a basic video loop creator. To use it:
- First, download the app.
- Open it and select “Select Photos” in the prompt that appears.
- Find and select the video you want to loop.
- Tap “Done.”
- The video will appear on the app’s home screen.
To create the loop:
- Tap on the video and select “Forward-Reverse” (since it’s a freemium app, you only get limited choices).
- You can also adjust the video speed using the on-screen slider.
- Once you’re finished, tap “Save” to save the video loop to your iPhone or share it on another app.